Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kids say the smartest things.


A few years ago I was asked to design a new identity for a YMCA Kid’s Camp in North Carolina named Camp Hanes.

I met the client at the camp and took a tour, asked questions, listened and learned a few things about this wonderful camp. I learned a few things about selling my own work in the process.

On the client’s request I designed several marks that included camp fires, kids, the visual of the Sauratown Mountain slope that overlooks the camp as well as one that didn’t include any of those things. During my tour of the camp, the director spoke at length about the friendships and sometimes life long bonds that are created at Camp Hanes.

A stylized “H” with hands reaching out to one another was the overwhelming favorite of several focus groups made up of moms, staff, and a group of campers.

The director had his favorite. It was a stylized camp fire with stars as embers. When he announced his preference to the group, a 13 year old girl named Tracy raised her hand and asked the director why the camp fire was his favorite when nearly everyone else preferred the hands. He told Tracy that he felt the camp fire was the most representative of something that campers see and participate in at camp. He went on to say, “I don’t see our camp in the hands, I don’t see our mountain, our kids, or our camp fires”

Tracy raised her hand and said one of the smartest things I’ve ever heard in a creative presentation:
“You don’t really see a hamburger in McDonald’s logo but you think it don’t you?”

I think every adult in the room said to themselves, wow, why didn’t I think to say something that smart?

Based on Tracy’s comment, the director’s response was “well Tracy, you are exactly right, thank you”

With that, the Capital “H” with hands has been the cornerstone of their identity since.

Thanks again Tracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment